Are you a Canadian kids’ book Publisher? One who wants to bring more attention to your authors and illustrators? Great! You’ve come to the right place.
By submitting your current titles to the Young Readers’ Choice Award Society for the Red Cedar Book Awards, you will be engaging directly with the kids who read your books, and reaching new kids who may never have seen your books!
How are you engaging with those kids? The Red Cedar Award is chosen by the readers! Groups, and individuals of Red Cedar Readers read and vote for their favourite fiction, and information books from a reading list.
This list is put together by the Red Cedar Award Selection Committee, from the books that you submit! Each reading list has up to 12 titles which are used by schools, booksellers, and public libraries – and get voted on by kids from around the province.
Nominees are posted in the summer on the Red Cedar website. Voting takes place in April, with the winners being announced in mid-May. The kids have a whole school year to read these books, and engage with the content through resources created by YRCAS’ volunteers.
To submit your books for consideration, titles must be:
- Current – Published between December 1st 2019 until November 30th 2020
- Written for children with a target age range of 8-12 (No Young Adult books, please).
- Written and illustrated by Canadian citizens or landed immigrants residing in Canada.
- Published by a Canadian trade press located in Canada.
- Have at least 1000 copies in print or have capacity to fill demand for sales. We also encourage that Ebook versions be available for sale.
- Available in retail outlets, bookstores, and libraries across British Columbia.
- Not a textbook or reprint.
- Self-published books are eligible if they meet all of the above submission guidelines.
Submission deadline is:
December 15, 2020.
Send your books to:
Red Cedar Award c/o Marilyn MacPherson
Public Library InterLINK
#158 – 5489 Byrne Road
Burnaby, British Columbia
V5J 3J1 CANADA
The Young Readers’ Choice Awards Society supports barrier-free reading, so we do not charge a submission fee.