Salmon are essential and inseparable from the culture, history and ecology of British Columbia and this books presents everything from the species, life-cycles and eco-systems of salmon around the world. From the biology to the harvesting of salmon, this book covers a wealth of information regarding this keystone species in British Columbia. Understanding the eco-system is essential to preserving the streams, rivers and ocean along our coast and ensuring this invaluable species for future generations.
- The Salmonidae family is split into Atlantic and Pacific salmon but can you name at least four of the Pacific salmon species?
- What does the term “anadromy” mean and why is that important in understanding the salmon’s life-cycle.
- What is a “little kid” salmon called and what is a ‘tween’ salmon called?
- In the Pacific NorthWest, Indigenous people developed several creative ways of catching or trapping salmon. Name three.
- What would you do to help preserve, restore or save important salmon eco-systems?
Red Cedar Readers Reviews: