It’s almost time to vote for your winner. Children can cast their vote for the Red Cedar Book Award winner from April 19-30.
We’re very excited that the Red Cedar Awards Gala for 2018 will be Sunday, June 3 in Vancouver. Come meet other young readers, present short skits on your favorite book, listen to readings from nominated authors, show off your book trailer, and enjoy some snacks with us! We will be announcing the winners of the 2017/18 Red Cedar Awards live at the Gala, and releasing the lists of 2018/19 nominees! The Gala will take place June 3 from 2-4pm (book signing after) in the Alice MacKay Room of the Vancouver Public Library (350 West Georgia Street).
Please RSVP to attend the Gala! Just email firstname.lastname@example.org with the number in your group. You can see the winners announced in person!
Students attending the event are asked to bring a completed Photo Release Form with them. Please print out this form and hand it out to your students for their parent / guardian to sign.
Book trailers are creative short videos that tell students something about the book without giving away the ending, and convince them to read the book! The video should be 2-3 minutes long and can include images, narration, sound, text and a variety of effects.
Research Other Book Trailers
Share one or more of these links with students so they can research student-created book trailers:
Create Your Book Trailer Script and Storyboard
Print out a book trailer planning template and storyboard This will help students decide on the number of slides, captions, type of images needed, etc. Here are some samples:
Search for and Download Images
- Students can use Pixabay or the Creative Commons‘ new search engine to find images that have a creative commons / copyright free designation.
- Images that match the tone of the book can be saved to a thumb drive.
Choose Copyright Free Music
- Students can find and listen to one or more copyright free music tracks on one of the following sites:
- One or more sound files that reflect the mood of the book can be downloaded to a thumb drive.
Create Your Book Trailer
Students can use one of the following video tools to create a book trailer. Their names, year made, image and audio sources should be added to the end of the trailer.
Adobe Spark Video App
Download the app. Open it and follow along with the YouTube video Using Adobe Spark Video for a Book Trailer YouTube video
Download the app. Open it and follow along with this iMovie iOS Guide
The Young Readers’ Choice Awards Society of British Columbia is a non-profit society run entirely by volunteers.
Your donations allow the Society to:
- Finance both Society and Red Cedar Book Awards operating costs.
- Promote literacy across British Columbia by engaging, exciting, and educating kids, families, and educators in and about their Red Cedar reading journey by providing free literacy resources and programs.
- Promote Canadian authors, illustrators, and publishing industry.
Please consider supporting us in promoting the joy of reading, literacy, and the recognition of Canadian authors, illustrators, and publishers.
Benefits of sponsorship include:
- Attracting new customers or patrons.
- Employee pride – you’re providing programs for literacy around the province!
- Showing community support.
Thank you to our current Sponsors:
To become a sponsor, please contact us or donate directly by cheque to:
Young Readers’ Choice Awards Society of British Columbia
c/o British Columbia Library Association
PO Box 19008 Rocky Point PO
Port Moody, BC V3H 0J1
Cheques should be made payable to YRCA Society of BC.
Did you know you can become a monthly donor?
Please make a safe & secure online donation at:
Thank you for supporting us!
Thank you for supporting literacy in British Columbia!